Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Item of the Week: Saftey First

Safety Pins are not only for holding things together. Today The X-Stylez Man uses it as leverage to turn heads when appropriately accessorized.  Now this simple pin which retails for $2.00 at your local fabric store can add that extra “IT” factor to any outfit. It’s definitely a conversation piece.




 Style your safety pin as a pendant or male brooch like Idris Elba at the 2012 Golden Globe Awards.  I encourage you to go out and get the item of the week or find one around the house and try out some of the styling options I put together below or come up with some of your own and send them in… GET CREATIVE!


When wearing a cardigan try putting "the item of the week" in an odd place like in a  lower region opposed to eye level. This outfit came equipped with a basic v-neck tee, light washed denim, fox tail and mixed bracelets.



When wearing a blazer try pinning "the item of the week" in the upper portion of your lapel. This outfit entails a tweed blazer, 4 button henley tee, medium wash jeans and two toned wingtips.

Get a similar shoe here at Urban Outfitters.



When pulling out your distressed denim jacket, try pinning "the item of the week"on the collar. Also try popping your collar for a more dramatic look. This outfit was styled with a basic white button down and hounds tooth vest. 



When wearing a light weight blazer try pinning "the item of the week" right above the lining of your lower pocket. If wearing a bag, it keeps your audience's eye level right at your accessories. This outfit was paired with light gray jeans, mixed shamballa bracelets, a plaid button down and a Staple Ford buffalo plaid laptop bag from Urban Outfitters.

This picture came from The Urban Gentleman (another GREAT male fashion blog). Try wearing your pin to clasp your collar. The Urban Gent took a western approach and paired this look with a dark denim shirt, western suspenders and a bandanna tied at the neck and under the collar to resemble a cowboy.




I wore "the item of the week" as a pendant under my handkerchief pocket. This brings more attention to my polka dot pocket square. I "dressed my look up while dressing it down" by adding a Boston fitted cap. I accessorized with mixed bracelets and a gold watch to add to the other gold elements in my ensemble (safety pin, spiked and lasso bracelets, blazer buttons, and LV buckle loafers). Lastly, I mixed patterns and prints with my dress shirt and tie combination and as a styling tip my jeans were cuffed over my shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment